Friday, August 5, 2011

Play the Game!

I'm not sure how many of you know, but I really don't, and can't play the wonderful game of Basketball. But however much I can't, or don't play this game that seems to change when you go on a mission. Every Monday of the week  missionaries have the great opportunity to have what we call Preparation Day or "P-Day" It is a day set apart to do all the tasks around the house such as cleaning, and more cleaning. We also are able to go and enjoy ourselves with activity such as the Museums, Zoos, Basketball, Frisbee, and other sports. It is a time to unwind and relax. However while I was having the great opportunity to play a game of Basketball (being humiliated as I attempted to shoot that ridiculous ball into a net above me) I noticed a key element to how I played the game. While I was enjoying myself and having a good time just playing, and not worrying about what others were thinking I started to enjoy myself and get lost in the game. (This however does not mean that I like Basketball in any way shape or form. Just so you know!) It just means that if we stop worrying about everything going on, and just enjoy the moment things seem lighter, more enjoyable. I have the same feelings when it comes to life. I don't always want to play the game of life, far to often I find myself looking to see what others think and worrying about everything going on around me. Its really shocking that when we take the time to step back from the busy world, and look at what the lord has truly given us things start to look up. We begin to see that we aren't worrying so much on what people think, but what our father in Heaven thinks. We begin to see that there is a much larger picture of why we are here, and what we can do to have more happiness. I know that in my life things started to look up when I start following the rules (Even with Basketball) it goes more smoothly when you follow the rules, and I felt more protected. I learned that the Rules and Commandments of God are there to protect us and give us safety for the soul. I believe that the commandments are like a fence on a mountain side. The fence is only there to protect us and keep us from danger, but most of us only think it is restraining us, and keeping us from doing what we want. I am grateful for the commandments which keep me from falling off the edge, and I know that I get so many blessings from following the Commandments. The Lord even promises us that as we keep his commandments he will prosper us, and bless us (Mosiah 2:22). How grateful I am for the blessings of the commandments, and the opportunity I have to live here on the earth at this time. We are truly blessed to have so many beautiful things that remind us that God lives and he loves us. I am so grateful for our Lord and our Savior and I know that he lives. So stop worrying and start looking! Life is far to short to play a game where your not having fun! God Loves us and he sent us here that we might have joy and not world joy, but eternal Joy! (2 Nephi 2:25) Just Play the Game!

No comments:

Post a Comment